Sunday, August 19, 2012

DIY Vintage Earring Holder

I came across two old vintage frames at an estate sale a while back. They had no backs, no glass, and no hangers, but they were so pretty I just couldn't pass them up. The lady told me they were handpainted, and these frames are a bit rare, so they weren't a dime a dozen, but I bought them anyways, with the hope that someday I would find some use for these backless frames.


Well, Pinterest came to the rescue a few days ago and I found something to do with them.... make them into earring holders!! I made one for the shop, and then loved it so much that I made another one for myself for my own earrings. So, here you have complete directions on how to make your own, or if you're dying for the one I made, it's right here in the shop!

DIY Vintage Earring Holder

What you will need:
  • A vintage frame - any size will do, it is entirely your preference
  • A whole bunch of different crochet trims, or just one type, preferably with a rather open weave to allow the earrings to hook in and out easily
  • Hot glue gun
  • Scissors
  To begin, take off the back and glass of your frame, it if has them. Lay out your crochet trim(s) underneath the frame to decide what trim you would like where, and where to place them. Note: you will want to take into some consideration what type of earrings you have, if you have longer, bigger earrings you will want a place appropriate for them which leaves enough room between that row and the next, since they will hang lower. See photo below


Once you have decided which trims you want to use and where you want them, cut each piece long enough to go across from edge to edge, and then a little extra on each end.

Then, taking the glue gun, glue one end to the inside of the frame and press it down. 

Immediately fold the extra bit over, and press it down firmly until the glue hardens. 

Your project should look something like this from the back.


And.... voila! There you have a beautiful earring holder for your dresser. You can also tie a ribbon around the top and hang your earring display on your wall.



Enjoy crafting!

2 comments:

Rosamund Gregory said...

This is too pretty!!! Now I will have to look out for pretty frames...

Emma said...

Such a pretty frame! :)

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...