Saturday, September 1, 2012

Fair at New Boston

Today we and another close family we know went to the Fair at New Boston. It is an 18th century fair with so much to see and do!! However we didn't just go and look around like most people.

The mother of that family and myself both enjoy sewing. So, a week ago, we devised a plan to sew the girls 18th century dresses to wear to the fair. And that's what we did. We decided we were not going to be picky about being perfectly period correct granted the amount of time we had to make them. But they turned out really cute!

So, this morning, we all got in their van and headed off to the fair.

Oh, and I took a LOT of pictures. Now you've been warned.


We hadn't been there ten minutes when this lady's dress caught my eye


I sort of felt like I had a foot in both camps. I loved the American patriots because, well, I'm American, but I also loved the British because, well, they were British! You saw an interesting mix of colonial American and British regency styles.

Stopped into a sutler called "Regency Revisited" full of sewing and fashion goods. *sigh*



Liked this old couple.


LOVED this lady's outfit!


Of course, there were many different types of music.

There they are in their dresses!




Good food..


Saw this when we walked into a sutler and immediately thought of that cloak Anne wears in Anne of Green Gables when they go to visit Great Aunt Josephine.


 One sutler had all skins...



Buying candy



Saw this and immediately thought of Lydia and Kitty Bennet


 Loved this hat!



and this girl's dress...

Indians...





Homespun yarn!

More fabric...

Quite an entertaining couple on the right...


"A mug of sarsaparilla, ma'am."


The Indians were really neat. However, a lot of them were not dressed very modestly, but the ones that were were cool to see. This one was hanging out near the "tavern". We stopped to get some lemonade.
As we were sitting there, the Indian was like:


And the kids were like:


:)
 

Loved the back of this dress, probably my favorite of the ones we made!


This was going to be an awesome shot.... until this lady had to walk right in front of me.




Trading beads they bought...

 


Saw this and immediately thought of my book I'm writing...


Beautiful...






The militia!


 
By the end of the day, we were wiped out, but it was SO much fun! It got me so inspired.... maybe when I graduate next year I could have my own sutler and sell all my handmade stuff!! And the best part is you could dress up!! (One thing I shamelessly love doing)

The overcast sky threatened to rain again, and we were getting hungry for dinner, so we all wove our way through the tents to the outskirts of the historic farm. I had purchased one of these wide brimmed hats that I have been craving for ages. Here you see Adele modeling it for me. :)



All in all it was a lovely day and I can't wait to do it again next year!

Love always,

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

It looks like you had a glorious time...I wish we had more events like that around here.

http://hopefulforhomemaking.blogspot.com

~Stephanie

Rose M. said...

Loved the pictures! Beautiful costumes!

Miss Melody Muffin said...

WOW!! Looks like a terrific day!! The dresses you made are beautiful!

I love things like this. Several years ago my family visited a historical farm near where we were living at the time. I'll never forget that wonderful experience.

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...