Monday, October 15, 2012

Dipping Pen into Ink...




I have been using quill pens for a long time for my drawings, and more recently for my writing and calligraphy.  I consider it a useful skill for a young lady to have. :)  For one thing, pen and ink drawings are unlike any other.  The way their fine, poignant black lines etch an image is quite breathtaking when done with a skilled hand.  I love adding watercolor to mine to give them that realistic look.  If you look at my homemaking journal, you will see lots and lots of ink and watercolor drawings.  They accent perfectly a page of herbs and their uses, recipes from my grandmother, or favorite pieces of poetry. 


 Herb Recipes. Most of them are for tea, but there are medicinal ones as well.

 



 


 My new little tin for my pen nibs. Isn't it so old fashioned?

 Yes, I have used my feathers, though not as often, obviously, as my pens.  Feathers can be quite a challenge to get a clean line with! 


Such a wonderful occupation for a fall afternoon!


Of course, then I got our rabbit out and went all Beatrix Potter.... :P

Gosh this makes me want to whip out one of my high-necked Edwardian blouses and wear it with that navy blue bustled skirt I've got.  And maybe put my hair up, don a smart little navy hat with a white ribbon, and go chase some wild rabbits and squirrels with my watercolors.... 


Yours truly,

11 comments:

Lauren said...

I can not describe how much I love these pictures! You are so inspiring:) They remind me of a BBC Beatrix Potter series I used to watch as a small child :cough:and still watch from time to time :cough:

Marlene E. said...

Oh sigh... these pictures are DE-LOVELY! My oh my, I wish I could paint...

Sarah said...

Beautiful photos and artwork! The house you painted made me think of Louisa May Alcott's home, Orchard House. We visited her home several years back and it was wonderful. What a perfect idea to have a homemaking journal. : )

Miss Elizabeth said...

Thank you Sarah! Actually, I did paint that off of a picture of Orchard House. We used to live in New England and visited that house very often. :)

Hannah said...

Your watercolors are so pretty! You definitely have a gift.:)
I finally got around to adding your small button to my sidebar. It is so pretty.:) And gives me some inspiration for a new button~ my current one is rather boring.

Haddock said...

The pictures are simply great and so is the write up.
Yes using those ink pens (and quills) need skill and practice, but the results are something to be preserved.

Miss Elizabeth said...

Thank you Hannah! I'm glad you liked my button. I added your button to my sidebar, and will keep a lookout for your new one if you make one!

Elizabeth said...

Love using my ink pens! Your drawing as so lovely. I'm a little envious.
I'd love to see more of your Homemaking Journal, with your favorite recipes and such. I am very much into herbs, medicinal or otherwise. In fact I have my own medicinal herbal that I'm making. So this is right along the lines of that. :)
God bless,
Elizabeth

Hana - Marmota said...

You make such beautiful pictures! I love that bird. And your handwriting. My handwriting is rather messy...

Emily Churchill said...

Please consider selling the watercolor bird pictures! So pretty!!

Miss Elizabeth said...

Emily, I'm so glad you like my birds! :) I actually was thinking of going through my portfolio (yes, I have many more little finches sitting in there) and maybe listing some of them on Etsy. I'll let you know when I do. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...