Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Oh for a Claddagh Ring of My Own

Goodness, this is my one hundred and fiftieth post! It seems like just yesterday I was thinking of something to say to introduce myself in my very first post. I remember getting excited when I had my very first comment, and watching my followers list grow slowly but surely as the week passed. Thank you to all of you dear, sweet young ladies *cough* and gentlemen *cough* for being such faithful and devoted followers, for taking the time to read my posts and tell me your thoughts. I truly appreciate each and every one of you! :)

Well today I would like to share about one piece of jewelry that is not only beautiful, but also very rich in legend: the Claddagh ring.

Claddagh ring
Source: photobucket
 
The Claddagh ring gets its name from the Irish phrase "An Cladch" which means "flat stony shore".  A small village on the stony coasts of Ireland with this name is where the design of the ring originated.

There are many legends behind this ring. The simplest, and my favorite, is that of a Prince who fell in love with a common maid. To convince her father his feelings were genuine and he had no intentions of "using" the girl, he designed a ring with hands representing friendship, a crown representing loyalty, and a heart representing love. He proposed to the maid with this ring, and after the father heard the explanation of the symbolism of the ring, he gave his blessing.

There's something about this ring that really appeals to me. I don't know if it's because it has an Irish origin (my family heritage is Irish), the fact that it ties in with the whole idea of preserving yourself for marriage (sort of like a purity ring), or the fact that these rings are intended to be heirlooms passed from mother to daughter. Whatever it is, I really want one of these!

Ladies Silver Claddagh Ring LS-CLAD6 
This also ring has a very interesting meaning to it depending on how you wear it.

On the band are two hands clasping a heart, which are usually usually surmounted by a crown. This is said to symbolize love (the heart), friendship (the hands), and loyalty (the crown).
Traditionally, if the ring is on the right hand with the heart facing outward and away from the body, this indicates that the person wearing the ring is not in any serious relationship, and may in fact be single and looking for a relationship: "their heart is open."
When worn on the right hand but with the heart facing inward toward the body, this indicates the person wearing the ring is in a relationship, or that "someone has captured their heart".
A Claddagh worn on the left hand ring finger facing outward away from the body generally indicates that the wearer is engaged.
When the ring is on the left hand ring finger and facing inward toward the body, it generally means that the person wearing the ring is married.


You may be thinking (like I initially did) that you want to go out and buy one for yourself right now. However, one does not just boldly set out and buy one for themselves. The ring is meant to be a gift; either from a relative, or perhaps a young man. :) That is the whole point of the ring; it is a symbolism of love, friendship, and loyalty.

Here is the official Claddagh Ring site where the rings are made in Ireland.

And here is my favorite one:
Ladies Claddagh Ring SL-SL92 


Well, I really do need to get off of here and practice my violin before I have to leave for choir. :)  Hope you are all having a loverly day!

Yours truly,














Source used: wikipedia

4 comments:

Marlene E. said...

Snicker. I bought mine because... because it was going to take FOREVER for some guy (or relative) to purchase one for me.

However, I'd be happy to switch my current one out if Prince Charming wanted to give me one. ;) Ooh, ooh, I know- I'll just wear my Celtic knot ring around him so he gets the impression that I don't have one.

This is all assuming, of course, that there is a Prince Charming. There isn't as of now. *headdesk*

Miss Elizabeth said...

Haha! Well my mom is really interested in the whole idea, so I'm hoping.... maybe... for Christmas... :)

So would I!! If I see some really tall handsome guy with potential I'll just whip it off and stuff it in my pocket and say "Hey dude, ya know I just LOVE those Claddagh rings..." :D You've got a Celtic knot ring? Nice.

I know, exactly. I am burdened with the same problem. No Prince Charming as of late. No Mr. Thornton. Not even a Mr. Bingley. *sobs*

Hannah said...

I'm not usually into jewelry, but that ring is so pretty! And the legend/symbolism behind it is so sweet! Thanks for sharing that!
My family heritage is Irish too (when I was little I had red hair, now it's darker, but I do have green eyes and freckles.:) Definitely another reason to like it.:)

Anonymous said...

Saved as a favorite, I like your website!


My personal weblog regarding technological know-how: wireless surround sound systems ()

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...