Thursday, November 29, 2012

Ginger Mint Tea for a Sore Throat

Today I am sitting here inside the cozy house, looking timidly out the window at the frosty haze covering the world, and sipping tea. I came down with a sore throat a few days ago, convinced myself it was gone yesterday, went to a 2 hour choir practice last night, and woke up this morning worse off than before I went. Smart, right? But, I have decided I'm going to go after this cold the all natural way. *cheers* No tylenol, no motrin, no ibuprofen, no nothin. See, my brother bought me this book called "Country Wisdom and Know How: a practical guide to living off the land" for my birthday (he knows me WAY too well :) and I have recently been intrigued by the section on home remedies. So I have been trying different things out, and have come up with this tea which really helps sooth your throat, bring down the swelling, and generally make life a tad bit easier.


Ginger Mint Tea

2 tsp tea of your choice
1 tbs dried mint leaves, crushed
1/4 tsp dried ginger OR a few thin slices of fresh ginger root
 Dash of lemon juice
Honey

Put the tea, mint, and ginger into a tea ball, or a bit of cloth, and steep it in a cup of steaming hot water for about 2 minutes. Add a small dash of lemon juice, and stir in some honey to taste. 

The the ginger acts as an expectorant, providing quick relief to the soreness, the mint is cooling and soothing, the lemon cuts the mucous in the back of the throat which causes soreness, and the honey coats the throat.  I have been using this for a couple of days and it has definitely helped reduce the pain drastically.  

I also read that gargling with cayenne pepper is very beneficial and provides instant relief, so, being my usual insane self, I tried it, and I'll just say I wouldn't recommend it.  While it did, in fact, relieve the pain greatly, it basically felt like my mouth was on fire. Thanks, I'll stick with salt water. :)


Have a lovely day!







5 comments:

Sarah said...

So sorry to hear that you are not feeling well! Whenever I have a cold I love to drink ginger tea. It definitely does help.

Lydia said...

Aww I'm sorry your throat is sore. :(( I hope you feel better soon!

http://eternal-simplicity.blogspot.com

Jessica Cangiano said...

Isn't it irksome how the moment the temperatures really take a nose dive, one becomes so much susceptible to colds, flus, random sore throats and the like? Though I have the weaker immune system for sure of the two of us, Tony tends to be more prone to such bugs between us, but rarely does a winter go past that we don't each come down with at least one (and often more) bug, too.

Thinking of you and sending the speediest of get well wishes your way, dear girl.

♥ Jessica

Grace Hincapie said...

I was wondering how you got your music to automatically play on the blog? Thanks!

Miss Elizabeth said...

First off, thank you all for your kind wishes! It ended up turning into strep throat, which was absolutely insufferable, but I'm starting to feel better today and am back on my feet (finally!).

Grace, it depends what music playlist you are using. I use Grooveshark. When you get the code for your playlist, search for a part of the code where it says "p=0". Change it to "p=1". (there should be two times this shows up in the code.) Once you have saved it that way, it should play automatically for you.

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...