Friday, December 21, 2012

Emotional Attachment to Things You Create

I'm sure that title rings a bell with many of you crafters out there.  Whenever I finish making something, it's like there is a part of me in that thing.  A little bit of my soul.  And, when you are doing this as a business, that little creation will not be in your hands forever.  One day you will open up your email and see that little "Congratulations on your Etsy sale of ...".  Of course, your heart does a little leap for joy; someone bought your piece!!  Someone actually admires your work enough to buy it from you!  But then, there is that little twinge.  That little voice that tells you you will have to send it away.

It depends on what types of things you make.  For example, one would probably not be as emotional over the sale of a few bars of soap as they would over, say, a handmade doll.  Some things just have... personalities. 

For example, yesterday, I shipped off this little nun habit for someone's little girl this Christmas.  It was the habit of the Sisters of Nevers; St. Bernadette's order.  





Farewell, my little Bernadette. :) 

I know this may sound a bit silly, but some of you may understand what I mean.  It's like sending a little bit of you somewhere into that vast world.  


Love always,

2 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

I certainly do know what you mean. I've made little Confederate general's uniforms and they're not going anywhere! :-) But I also make soap, and believe it or not, some do have personalities. You'll have to check in early January and you'll see what I mean.

Beautiful work on the nun's habit. Someone is going to be very, very happy!

meditationsandbread.com said...

I know exactly what you mean! I make quilts as gifts and for charity quite often, and I nearly always hate to let them go. But I have found that no matter how hard it is to let go, I never miss them very long. Soon, it's on to another project.

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...