Monday, February 11, 2013

Healthy Eating | Crepes and Jam

Some of you know that I am now on a sugar and gluten free diet due to my food allergies.  We had tried different things, and when I eliminated those two from my diet my reactions were reduced greatly, so for now, I can't eat any of it.  But, over the last couple of weeks of being on my new diet, I have been experimenting in the kitchen with all sorts of alternatives and have developed quite a few tasty meals for myself!  So, I thought I would share one with you today.

Crepes and Jam

I found the original recipe on Simply Sugar & Gluten Free, but I did change it a little to suit me.  It's an amazing site with tons of recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and dessert!  

Here is what my crepes and jam looked like when I made them this morning:


Ingredients
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 tablespoons of water
  • 1 tablespoon of oat flour
  • 15 drops of liquid stevia 
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • a pinch of salt
  • 2 tablespoons plain raw yogurt
  • All-fruit preserves (I used Strawberry.)
Instructions
  1. Put the egg, egg whites, water, oat flour, stevia, vanilla, and salt in your VitaMix or blender. Blend on high speed for 30 seconds until the batter is thoroughly combined. It will be watery. That’s how you want it.
  2. Heat a small skillet over medium low. 
  3. Coat pan with a little butter. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and quickly rotate pan to evenly distribute batter. Cook for about a minute, until the bottom starts to get light golden brown in places. Flip with a wide spatula and cook for another minute or so until light golden brown. Place on a plate. Repeat with remaining batter.
  4. Spread a thin layer of yogurt on the surface of each crepe. Fold crepes in half, then in fourths. Thin the jam with a little bit of water to make it syrup consistency, and drizzle over the top of the crepes.  Yum!

 This recipe yields about 4 crepes.

   I hope to post about more of my sugar and gluten free adventures in the future.  It really is surprising what you can come up with with a little experimenting!

Blessings,

3 comments:

Rose M. said...

Those look fabulous. And GLUTEN-FREE!!!! Wa-hoo!

Maid Emmaline said...

You have food allergies too?! Oh my goodness! Welcome to gluten-free land!!!!! It's not so bad here. ;) And it makes you feel so much better.

Miss Elizabeth said...

Thank you, Maid Emmaline! Yes, I am finding out that it is not so bad around here, and the food is considerably good in addition to the fact that yes, you feel much better! :D

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...