Thursday, February 28, 2013

Literary Heroine Blog Party Link Up

So I have entered Kellie's Literary Heroine Blog Party and am now here to answer her questions for the link up!  Be sure to stop by her blog and join in the fun yourself; tomorrow is the last day. :)

All images, besides the banner below, were sourced from Pinterest and are not mine.


The Literary Heroine Blog Party Link up:
~ The Questions ~

Introduce yourself! Divulge your life's vision, likes, dislikes, aspirations, or something completely random!  My name is Elizabeth.  I am in love with the country life, and hope to have my very own farm someday complete with a Victorian farmhouse with a porch. :)  My spare time is usually spent sewing costumes, reading novels, crocheting, or doing dishes.  Oh, and also blogging!
 
 What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine?  I think a true heroine is one who is courageous, wise, charitable, and capable of dealing with the most difficult situations while still keeping her head on straight.  She looks out for others without thinking of herself.
 
Elizabeth Bennet
Share (up to) four heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to.  I will have to say that first and foremost I relate to Miss Elizabeth Bennet of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.  Ironic, right?  We just seem to have the same personality and reactions to things, and throughout the entire book I could feel deeply for her in her struggles.  If I were to pick another, it would probably be Margaret Hale from Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South.  We have a lot of similarities, and I'm afraid I will end up falling for a Mr. Thornton too! ;)
 
 
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Five of your favorite historical novels?  Pride and Prejudice (JA), Emma (JA), Sense and Sensibility (JA), The Virginian (Owen Wister), An Old Fashioned Girl (Louisa May Alcott).
 
 
The Virginian
Out of those five books who is your favorite main character and why?  Golly, I don't know if I could pick.  They are all like my best friends.  One of my favorites is Miss Molly Wood from The Virginian.  She is kind, yet very strong headed, like me, and I like the way she handles the Virginian at first with an air of superiority, but as the book moves on, well, I won't spoil the story if you haven't read it yet.  So go and read it.  Now.
 
An Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott - great book that I wished they would make into a movie.
Out of those five books who is your favorite secondary character and why?  Hmm, well I liked Sydney from An Old Fashioned Girl.  He was such a perfect gentleman, so kind and caring, and I can't believe Polly didn't marry him!  Excuse me if you haven't read the book yet, but that is what happens.  I felt so badly for him.
 
 Clayoquot Wilderness Resort in British Columbia Canada (4)
If you were to plan out your dream vacation, where would you travel to - and what would you plan to do there?  My dream vacation would be campi- *ehem* glamping in the wilderness of Canada.  My dad camped there a long time ago and his stories of the place never fail to capture my attention.  I would cook over a fire, canoe, observe the wildlife, go hiking, and, of course, bring my watercolors.  I could probably fill a whole sketchbook.

What is your favorite time period and culture to read about?  I have many favorites, but my top favorite is probably 1840s-1860s American West.

You have been invited to perform at the local charity concert. Singing, comedy, recitation - what is your act comprised of?  Oh my, I do not like performing in front of people.  It makes me all shy and nervous.  But, if it was for a good cause and they really needed me, probably singing while playing the piano.
 
 If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent?  Margaret Hale!! :D  In that dress, too.

oreo
What are your sentiments on the subject of chocolate? I. Love. It.  No really, it's divinity.  Although my favorite form of chocolate is an oreo.  Anything oreo is my favorite.
 
 
Jane Austen
Favorite author(s)? Jane Austen, Louisa May Alcott, Janette Oke.
 
Watercolors
Besides essentials, what would you take on a visiting voyage to a foreign land?  I would take my beloved Darcy (known to some of you as my DSLR), and my watercolors.
 

In which century were most of the books you read written? Goodness, that would be hard to figure out.  I have read so many books, but if you want to pick Austen, which I read quite a bit of, I suppose the 19th century.
 
Oh my gosh.  Oh my.....  I can't take this.  This is probably my favorite EVER picture of Mr. Thornton.  Like, ever.
 
In your opinion, the ultimate hero in literature is…WHY OF COURSE, MR. THORN- *ehem*  Why I must say definitely Mr. Thornton. :)  I don't think I need to explain why.
 

Describe your ideal dwelling place.  A historical farmhouse, preferably between 1840 - 1900.
 
 
 
"Untitled #8" by thecountryhandmaiden on Polyvore
Sum up your fashion style in a short sentence.  Golly.  This is going to be hard.  Okay, here it goes.  "Slightly classy, with a touch of mod and a splash of vintage."  Please note that that is my *ideal* fashion style.  Some days I really don't care what I wear, since I don't have time to put it together.  This is one of those days. ;)  By the way do you like the outfit above?  It's on my Polyvore. :)
 

Have you ever wanted to change a character’s name? Heavens, no!  I think all the characters I have read about in novels have the perfect names assigned to them by the genius authors.  Although one time I read a book where the girl was named Caroline, but her hero called her "Irish" since she had red hair, and it drove me nuts.  Every time he said that I would mentally say to myself "Caroline".
 
 
Sense and Sensibility (2008)
In your opinion, the most dastardly villain of all literature is... Is there any question?  Willoughby.
 

Three favorite Non-fiction books?  Besides the Bible of course, I like "The Hope Chest; A Labor of Love" by Rebekah Wilson, "Raising Maidens of Virtue" by Stacy McDonald, and "Before You Meet Prince Charming" by Sarah Mally.
 

Your duties met for the day, how would you choose to spend a carefree summer afternoon? If it isn't too hot, I would probably take a walk through the woods to the lakes and pack lunch; if it was too hot to hike, I would spend it in my craft room making something for myself or my Etsy shop.
 
 
 
Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat - in such a way as will best portray your true character.  Ha, for this one I have a picture!  But I suppose I will give you a verbal sketch as well.  "A bonnet in black, dark brown, or deep cranberry, with a lace veil and a thick ribbon." 
 
Share the most significant event(s) that have marked your life in the past year. A lot of things have happened this past year, but probably one of the biggest was my brother leaving for boarding school in another state.  It has been so different without him at home.

Share the Bible passage(s) that have been most inspiring to you recently.  
 
Isaiah 55:8-12  

For my thoughts are not your thoughts: nor your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
 For as the heavens are exalted above the earth, so are my ways exalted above your ways, and my thoughts above your thoughts.
And as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and return no more thither, but soak the earth, and water it, and make it to spring, and give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
So shall my word be, which shall go forth from my mouth: it shall not return to me void, but it shall do whatsoever I please, and shall prosper in the things for which I sent it.
For you shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall sing praise before yen, and all the trees of the country shah clap their hands.

7 comments:

An Ordinary Housewife said...

It was interesting to read this, and get a little bit more of a glimpse of your personality. I actually have that book "An Old Fashioned Girl," but for some reason, I have started reading it yet.

Nice post! :)

Kellie said...

Aw... Sydney! I felt for him so.

Your Polyvore outfit is darling! And that vacation of your sounds so lovely. I'd love to visit there someday, as well.

Wonderful post!
--Kellie

Rebecca Moore said...

Hello there! :)
Ahh, The Virginian--I believe I need to find this one. It sounds sad, and yet good--the way most stories are.
And glamping in the wilds of Canada! That sounds exciting! :)
I so enjoyed reading your answers!
Joyfully,
Whimsey Keith :)

Hamlette said...

I love The Virginian too! That bit where the Virginian tells Trampas, "Stand on your laigs, you pole cat, and tell 'em you're a liar" -- I get shivers just remembering it :-D

Miss Elizabeth said...

YES!!! I love that part. He is so chivalrous. I also like how through the whole book they never give us his real name. It's mysterious and wonderful at the same time...

Hamlette said...

I know! The first time I read it, as a kid of 10 or 11, it bugged me no end that it never spilled his name. Now, I just think it's nifty, like how the main character in Rebecca has "an unusual and lovely name," but we never learn what it is. Such an intriguing choice for both characters, one defined by where he's from, the other unnamed because she feels like she's almost a non-person in many ways.

Oh, and that bit in The Virginian where he switches all the babies around at the dance? That part always has me rolling on the floor as I laugh. And how, just by admitting he did it, he gets all the mama's off the warpath. Priceless.

Mallory O'Bier said...

Thanks for adding the "subscribe by email" gadget to your blog! I subscribed, and I can't wait to read your next post!
"Pride and Prejudice," and "An old Fashioned Girl" are some of my favorites as well! Though to me the most dastardly villain of all literature is Professor Moriarty, from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "Sherlock Holmes.
I have just started my own blog, called "Little Maid of Virginia." Feel free to check it out if you like! Thanks, and God bless you!

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...