Saturday, April 27, 2013

Falconry

I have always had an interest in falconry.  There was something I always thought quite breathtaking about this unique connection with such a beautiful and powerful bird, and after reading more about this age-old sport, last summer I thought I would do some research on what it would take to start up something like this.

(source)
Falconry is essentially a method of hunting.  You are using your bird to hunt down small animals, such as rabbit or quail.  Falconry has been practiced in virtually every part of the world for centuries, however it was, and still is, practiced heavily in the middle east.  As the use of firearms became more popular for hunting, this art gradually fell out of practice.  However, many people are now reviving it once again.
(source)

As I researched it, I quickly became aware that this is pretty much a sport dominated by men, at least now.  I suppose that was to be expected, after all, most of the famous falconers in history were men, such as Charlemagne, King Richard the Lionhearted, and Henry VIII, believe it or not.

(source)
 However, more researching brought to light the rather scanty, but still existent history of female falconers.  Supposedly the very first record of a female falconer was of a Japanese woman named Kochicu.  Englishwomen apparently were often seen accompanying men on falconing excursions.  There were even exclusive all-women groups who enjoyed the sport.  According to age-old tradition, Merlins were considered most appropriate for ladies to use.


Well aren't you just a cute little Merlin. :)

Apparently Mary Queen of Scots, Catherine the Great of Russia, and even Queen Elizabeth I were all avid falconers.  So, this sport can be a ladylike occupation.


I am thinking of looking into getting started with some beginning falconry classes, and then, if everything goes well, either trap or buy a falcon of my own.  We'll see.  Never know, I may be introducing you to a new feathery friend of mine one of these days.


Yours truly,

3 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, taking classes would be so cool!
Falconry has always seemed super cool to me too. They are such beautiful birds. :)

It would be so cool to eventually own one of your own!

Cheers!

Kellie said...

I've always been fascinated by falconry... that may or may not have something to do with my name:) I'm looking forward to hearing how your adventure progresses!

--K

Rose M. said...

I awarded you! :] It's, like, ALL the way at the bottom of the very long post. So, beware.

http://thegoldenroadblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/awardiness-and-taginess-and-lot-of-it.html

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...