Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Homestead Diaries | My New Home

Some of you may know that I have recently begun spending my Saturdays at an historical 1880s working farm.  My duties consist of cooking meals on the wood-burning stove, cleaning dishes and pans, pouring over old books, keeping my apron clean, spinning yarn, shooing the cat out of the kitchen..... basically running a home the way they did in the late 1800s.  Let me tell you that on my first day, I honestly thought I had died and gone to Heaven.  This is definitely the life for me, and I'm just sorry that I only get to live it one day of the week.

Anyways, today I thought I would begin a new series of posts here on the blog: "The Homestead Diaries".  In these posts I will share what I have been up to lately at the farmhouse, as well as lots of pictures.  So, for today, allow me to walk you around my home. :)


 The kitchen is where the homemakers hover most of the day.  We cook meals on the stove, wash dishes, make tea, sit and chat.... It is the warmest room in the house, and I'm sure you can guess why.


That's the head homemaker.  She reminds me so much of Tasha Tudor.  She made that apron she's wearing and is helping me draft my own pattern to make one for myself.  Here is the image she used as a reference, which we found after digging through some old fashion books from the late 1800s. (I know, a seamstress's dream come true, right?)




Such a cozy little kitchen!  I wish I could live here all the time.

 



Irons are kept on top of the stove to keep them hot for pressing clothing.

Below are some shots of the pantry.  In there we keep most of our cooking and baking supplies, lots of canned goods, and flour, sugar, etc.  The water pump and sink are also tucked back here in the pantry.










 The pump is the only supply of water in the house.  Just fill up one of the blue basins and start rinsing off dishes!  We usually keep a pan of warm water on the stove for washing dishes in.




The parlor is where we spend the afternoons after most of our work is done.  You can sit and crochet, write a letter at the desk, or perhaps spin some yarn.  This is the wheel I got to spin on today.  It's the Ashford "Elizabeth".  Can you guess why I like it so much? :)


 The view from the parlor window...






You can also do some mending on the treadle machine, or sew an apron, bonnet, or even a dress.



Well that is all for now.  If everything goes well I will hopefully have a Homestead Diaries post each week, but we'll see.

Have a lovely evening!  (or afternoon, or morning, or whatever it is in your part of the world :)

9 comments:

Natasha Marie said...

What a fun "job"!! *jealous*
Isn't spinning wonderful? It's such a relaxing and peaceful way to spend an afternoon.
Keep us updated! I want to hear more and see more pictures:)

Amy said...

Wow...that is such a cool job! I would love to do something like that. Alas, where I live, there are no such jobs. :)

Cheers!

Aspirer said...

I am in amazement! These pictures are SO great. I am totally for the new series; can't wait till you post more!

♥ Aspirer

Vicki said...

This sounds like a simply amazing thing to be able to do! What fun!
I love the photos, and I can't wait to see more!

~Vicki
Decked Out in Ruffles

Miss Jane said...

Is truly a wonderful home! the homemaker is fantastic and the kitchen is a great place!
why do not you write us a recipe?:)
Have a nice Sunday!
Greeting from Italy:)

Grace said...

What a lovely post! Dream job, much!

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog. Love it and love this post about the working farmhouse. Can't wait to see more. Thank you for sharing.

Mary Kate said...

That is such a cool job! I love that kitchen :)

Clare Asper said...

This is perfect for you, Elizabeth!! Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your fun times. God bless! <3

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...