Friday, June 28, 2013

Healthy Eating | No Bake Chocolate Bars

I tried this recipe yesterday afternoon.  Usually I am not into making sweets, especially chocolate.  I'm not that crazy about chocolate.  (I know, throw the tomatoes; I'm ready)  But these were touted as being "yummy" AND "nutritious" at the same time, so I decided to give them a go.

Wow.

These must be some of the best chocolate snack bars I have ever tasted.  They are oatmeal and peanut butter based, with honey as a sweetener.  Instead of using chocolate chips, I used the cocoa powder substitute and used honey instead of the required amount of sugar.  They came out great!  

So, here is the recipe.  
Yes, it came from Pinterest.  
Where else do you expect me to get my inspiration? :)



Best Ever Chocolate Oatmeal No-Bake Bars

  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil (you could also substitute butter)
  • 2 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts, raisins, or dried cranberries
  • 1 1/4 cups dark chocolate chips (or regular semi-sweet chocolate chips, if you prefer)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt the peanut butter, honey, and coconut oil over medium-low heat in a saucepan on the stove. {Watch this closely. Mine started to burn!}
Remove from heat once it’s melted together and add in the oats, shredded coconut, chocolate chips, nuts/raisins, and vanilla. Stir together until the chocolate is completely melted.
Pour into a greased 9×13 pan and cool in the fridge. If you’d like thicker bars, you can pour the mixture into a smaller pan.
When the mixture is hardened, cut into bars and eat. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.


Like I said, it calls for chocolate chips, but I followed the directions on the cocoa powder box for the equivalent and used honey in place of the sugar. Yum!


Have a lovely day!  Tomorrow my bestest friend in the entire world is coming to spend the night so I gotta get this place straightened up. :D 



PS.  What do you think of the new blog design?

10 comments:

Vicki said...

No bake, healthy, AND chocolate? Three of my favorite things.(: I may have to give this recipe a try.

~Vicki
Decked Out in Ruffles

Libby M. said...

These look so good- I may have to make them this weekend. I love your new blog look, by the way. Very cute :)

Sarah said...

I made this recipe last night! I am addicted to finding recipes on pintrest. : ) Your are right this is a very tasty treat, my mom has already requested that I make her more. I think this will be my "cookie" of the summer.

Jessica Cangiano said...

Ahhh, I can almost taste the wonderfully appealing combination of ingredients dancing across my tongue as I read this scrumptious recipe. Chocolate + no bake + healthy, count me in right now! :)

Wishing you an absolutely lovely last weekend of June, dear gal,
♥ Jessica

Grace said...

Those look very nice. Being bombarded with scrumptious-looking recipes now- raspberries and white chocolate, and now no-bake chocolate bars?! By-the-by, your blog renovation is very cute. :)

Hana - Marmota said...

Blog design: I like the flowers!

And these sound and look good, except... what do you think I could substitute for peanut butter? I'm not crazy about peanut butter, and it's not a big thing here in the Czech Republic, so getting it could be a problem... I really would like to try a recipe like this, because oatmeal & dark chocolate? Count me in!

Julietslace said...

I love no baking recipes, I'm lazy and have a dodgy oven. Thanks for sharing :) xo

Miss Elizabeth said...

@Hannah Marmota - I have used almond butter in place of peanut butter before. It is a little thinner, so you may want to use a little less. It might actually be very tasty with almond butter now that I think about it...

@Julietslace - You are welcome! And can I give you a massive THANK YOU for being my 100th follower? That little "99 followers" has been driving me crazy the past few days waiting for someone to make it 100. So thank you again. :)

Amy said...

Oh my! Those look delicious! I will have to try them. :)

Clare Asper said...

Delicious! I can't wait to give it a try!!

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...