Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Homestead Diaries | The Blacksmith's New Apprentice

Today kept me busy with spinning some of my alpaca and angora blend yarn I've been working on lately, but while I was in the house, the blacksmith shop was clanking away.  There is a new apprentice there who's first day was today, can you guess who he is?













Yep, it's my brother.  I finally talked him into coming by the farm and seeing what it's like.  They have a woodworking shop which Mom thought he might be interested in, but right away he wanted to work with the blacksmith.  So today was his first day in the shop, and he enjoyed it.  He made a few iron hooks and a fire poker with a little leaf design on the top, and already has plans for new things he wants to make.




 

It was a real scorcher today.  The farmhouse was cooler since it's brick and hasn't had the chance to heat up yet, so I was grateful to be inside.  It didn't stop us all from taking quick trips to the air-conditioned log house though, where we were able to cool down and get a drink.  Imagine living without any air conditioning at all!  I honestly don't know how they did it...

Have a lovely day!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Oh man! That job sounds so cool! I think it's so awesome that you get to actually *use* the things and make things all old fashioned like that. Are there people touring a lot? I'd love to tour it myself! :D

Miss Elizabeth said...

Yes, there is usually a pretty steady flow coming through the farm all day on Saturdays. And surprisingly for most people it's their first time, which is fun because you get to give them tours and tell them the history of the farm and the people who lived there.

Vicki said...

Lovely pictures! It looks like your brother's having a good time!
I don't think I could survive without air conditioning...I don't know what I would've done if I lived in a time without it! Maybe move to Alaska for the summer or something...Anyway, I hope you're able to stay at least somewhat cool on your days on the homestead!(:

~Vicki
Decked Out in Ruffles

Hana - Marmota said...

I don't know how they did it, but I know I do... Although I guess our climate is nicer than yours.

Your brother seems to be learning fast!

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...