Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Homestead Diaries | The Summer Kitchen

     You may have noticed that I have not posted the usual homestead diaries post the past two Saturdays.  Yes, TWO!!   I am here to tell you that I have not forgotten about them, but that last Saturday we were out of town, and the Saturday before the volunteers took a week off of working at the farmhouse.  So it's been a while since I've been at my little old fashioned home-for-a-day, but I was there today and glad was I to be back! :)


This morning, I made some cake in the summer kitchen.  Since it is getting warm now, we can't use the big stove in the main house for cooking since it heats the house up too much, so we use one of the two outdoor kitchens attached to the house.  One has a brick oven, and the other, a little cast iron wood burning stove.  I was granted the use of the latter kitchen, all to myself, for the whole morning!  It takes about an hour and a half for the stove to heat up, so I had plenty of time to choose a recipe and prep the kitchen for working in it.







 

 Had to chop my own wood.  Ugh.  Where are the farmhands when you need them?


That slate right there is nearing 200 years old.  It was made by one of the Arnolds, the family who built this farm back in the 1830s.  You can see "Silas Arnold" engraved in the top of the slate.


Considering it's just a little summer kitchen, we keep it pretty well stocked.

~

After I cleaned up from baking, I took to the field with my camera to get out of that hot kitchen and breathe in some fresh air.  The horses were ever obliging to pose for me, as they always are.



Maggie looking majestic. :)

 The goats are very friendly too.








After time began to put a damper on my afternoon jaunt, I took the path along the pasture fence all the way back to the main house.  I could have wandered that way for hours, daydreaming in a very Anne Shirley-ish kind of way.  But then again my daydreams would probably have been interrupted at some point by an "Anne!  Anne Shirley you get over here this instant!"  To which I would have frantically replied, "Coming Mrs. Hammond!"  And then I would have hitched up my skirts, and ran as fast as I could, my metal bucket swinging, and Tennyson's poems clutched to my chest...

Oh dear, now where was I?


 It really was a beautiful day today though, and I was so glad to have a good day for photography.

Oh!  And last but not least, here is a picture of me spinning this afternoon before I took my walk.  There is this amazing photographer who visits the farm every few weeks to take pictures.  He'll just stand there in the doorway, waiting for the perfect light to land on something, and then snap pictures of things at all sorts of interesting angles.  It's thrilling to watch.  He and I have had quite a few lengthy conversations about photography, and he has been able to give this newbie lots of good tips.  He took this picture while we were talking actually... that's how easy it is; one moment you're responding to his question and the next thing you know he starts snapping!

(copyright Tim McMurdo)

Well, may you have a lovely.... oh wait, it's midnight already?!  

Now how did that happen...


God bless,

7 comments:

Rosamund Gregory said...

What beautiful foliage and grass y'all have! So lush and green...
YOur farmhands go missing too??? Whenever I need one of ours, they are continually on the other side of the planet; but whenever I am perfectly adapt at these particular duties assigned, they lean on fences without employment. So wags the world away, right?

And your slate is splendid.
God bless,
Rosamund

Amy said...

Wow, that just seems like such a neat job.

That last picture is really lovely. :)

Raechel said...

Very neat! So, is this like a place you go to work, then? It sounds super interesting. And I love that last picture - you look stunning and so diligent at your work! :)

Miss Elizabeth said...

Raechel, yes, I spend my Saturdays as a reenactor at an 1880s historical working farm, mainly in the farmhouse. We do cooking, baking, cleaning, sewing, canning, spinning... basically any type of period craft or occupation as a demonstration for visitors of how a farm would have been run at the time. It is a lot of fun!

Graceful Mommy said...

Lovely blog!
Thank you so much for the visit!

Raechel said...

Wow, how neat!! Seriously, that must be a huge blessing! What a fun experience :)

Alexandra Marie said...

This is so incredible! I would give anything to love there- I am such a country girl <3 Alex

http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/4239571/into-the-woods

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...