Monday, July 1, 2013

Random Post Concerning Sleepovers and Jane Eyre

So this weekend my bestest friend in the entire world, Christina, (as I mentioned in the last post), came over to my place for a sleepover!!  We had been planning it for a while, sort of in honor of my graduation and her 17th birthday.  Each time she comes we pick out a period drama that either she, I, or both of us have not seen yet.  The first time she came we watched Love's Enduring Promise which she had been begging me to watch for ages and I finally consented.  The second time we watched BBC's Sense and Sensibility 2008, which neither of us had seen before (and we totally loved it).  This time, I decided we would watch Jane Eyre starring Charlotte Gainsbourgh which is my favorite version of Jane Eyre, and also one she had not seen.

After coming home from Mass in the morning we went for a walk in the woods after lunch, while Stephen was at home making dinner for us, which he had been planning to do for a long time.  It was so sweet of him to do that for us.  Here he is diligently slaving away in the kitchen.  Christina and I were banned from helping. :)


 After we finished the delicious roast he made, he brought out dessert.  
I think my jaw literally dropped out of my mouth.

An OREO, ICE CREAM... CAKE, people.  I mean look at it.

He knows me too well, all too terribly well....




It was absolutely amazing and delicious I don't think I've ever tasted anything like it.


The whole dinner really was stunning.  Ever since he went to the Academy he has come back with some pretty good culinary skills, considering he detested anything to do with the kitchen before he left. Oh and we also tried this Brazilian soda that he bought on one of his trips with the boys.  It's called "Guarana" pronounced "gua-da-NA" and it was really good.  It tasted like a mix of cherry and ginger flavors.  He said it's like the coke of Brazil.

Later on, we almost watched Return of the King since Stephen really wanted to, and since he had done all that for us we figured let's do it.  (Plus who needs to be begged to watch LOTR... not me)  Unfortunately since we don't own it we were going to stream it, but the computer was having issues so we decided to skip it and go ahead and watch Jane Eyre.

I had seen it before, but not in a while.  It's such a sweet movie.





Charlotte Gainsbourgh is very convincing as the older Jane, and Anna Paquin plays the younger Jane perfectly.

I wanted to jump through the screen and hug her at this scene when she talks back to Mr. Brocklehurst!

Have you seen this version of Jane Eyre?  Did you enjoy it?

It's ironic, because tonight my brother is at HIS bestest friend in the entire world's house for an overnight, so I'm all alone here to figure out something to do.  Maybe I'll go sew that skirt I've been meaning to finish.

Have a lovely evening!  Hope it's not raining where you are, it's rather wet here.

6 comments:

Grace said...

That cake looks absolutely amazing. I suppose that the recipe is unknowable?

Amy said...

That sounds like fun. :)

Yes, that's the only version of Jane Eyre that I've ever seen. It's been quite a long time since I watched it, but I remember it being really good. Jane was so sweet.
Have you ever listened to the Jane Eyre broadway musical? I really like it. Mr. Rochester has an amazing voice. I don't much care for Jane's all the time, but the music is pretty.

cheers!

Miss Elizabeth said...

@Grace - Actually, he did show me the recipe. Here it is: http://www.thekitchn.com/-frozen-chocolate-oreo-ice-cream-cake-recipes-from-the-kitchn-171779 I think his came pretty close to looking like the photos considering it was his first ice cream cake ever. ;)

@Amy - No, I have never listened to that one. I should look it up!

Joanne Bischof said...

What a special time! It sounds so lovely...so thoughtful. The 2008 BBC Sense and Sensitbility is one of my absolute favorites :)

Victoria said...

Okay. First of all, you have an amazing brother. Second of all, you have a gorgeous kitchen. Third of all, I have never seen that version of Jane Eyre and now want to. That is all. :)

Clare Asper said...

Oreo ice cream cake? He wins!!

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...