Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Homestead Diaries | Apples and Blackberries

Just like last weekend, this weekend is going to be busy.  This morning I put some baked applesauce on the hearth in the second summer kitchen to cook while I went blackberry picking.  Tomorrow is grain threshing day, and before the men go out to work we prepare a "thresherman's dinner" for them.  It's more than just dinner, though.  I took a look at the menu and blinked.  It's truly quite a feast.  I don't want to tell you though, because I'm sure I will have lots of pictures of it tomorrow. :)  So today I made applesauce, some of the other girls have made bread and pudding ahead of time, and tomorrow we will prepare everything else. 



We heated up the dutch oven.  I love cooking with cast iron. :)




 I just put a small pat of butter in the pan, let it melt, and then poured in my peeled and sliced apples.


While we were in the kitchen the men were getting the equipment lined up for tomorrow's demonstration.


After I cleaned up my mess, I put on a slat bonnet and took a basket on my journey to the woods.  Rumor had it that blackberries were sighted along the wagon trail, so I was determined to find them.


Sure enough, I soon caught sight of the creeping, thorny bushes full of ripe berries.
 





  I put the blackberries in the bowl, and the basket served as my 1880s camera bag. :)


It was a gorgeous day.  If it wasn't getting late, I would have taken my boots off and waded in the cool creek that runs through the woods, but I needed to get back to check on my baking apples.
 



I passed the farmers on my way to the house and they had all of the equipment out in the side yard, ready for tomorrow.


When I got back to the kitchen, I took out my apples and stirred a bit of sugar into them.  It actually was very good.  I hope the men like it tomorrow.  The head homemakers take turns being in charge of the annual threshing day meal, and each one tries to top the one from last year.  I was told that maybe I would take next year's dinner.  Wouldn't that be exciting?
 

 Then again, it's a lot of work. :)  We'll see.

I will be back tomorrow with a full report on the event.  In the meantime, have a lovely Saturday evening!

Yours truly,

No comments:

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...