Monday, July 8, 2013

The Homestead Diaries | A Grand Old Independence Day

I did not write my usual Homestead Diaries post on Saturday because I wanted to save it for today, since we had a very big event on Sunday.  On July 7th, we had our "Grand Old Independence Day" celebration, where we celebrated our country's independence in the style of the late 1800s. 


 When I got there in the morning it was threatening to rain, but I prayed that it wouldn't and God answered me with a lovely, slightly overcast day.  Perfect weather!

There were lots of people that came through the farm.  One of the highlights of the day for me was a tourist group from Algeria who all wanted their picture taken with me and my friend Allie.  After that the tour guide asked us to give a little presentation on the farm and what we do as volunteers.  The people from Algeria were very friendly and gracious to be there.


 Above is Allie, Caitlin and I supervising the bucket brigade.  You have two teams, and the members of each team have to take turns filling their glass jar with a spoon and a bucket of water and the first team who's jar overflows wins.  It was very exciting, especially as it got down to the end.

We had period games like the bucket brigade, egg toss, pie eating contest, and sack races.  There was a tug of war at the beginning which was quite rough and very competitive.  After the visitors finished, the volunteers did it, even us girls. :)  It was a lot of fun, though our side was no match for Rick (the big burly man in the straw hat in the picture below :).

 

Around three o'clock we had the pie eating contest.  I do not have any pictures of that event, which I am glad I don't.  It was quite grotesque, especially when it got to the adults.  My mom had the camera for the day, so I don't have as many pictures as I would like for this post, but I have a few and I also stole some from a friend. :)

Aren't they adorable?  The sack race was so cute to watch.  (and that's my sister, second from the left)


My brother got there a bit after I did, and he worked in the blacksmith most of the time.  After he was done we all took some of the little kids to the country store to get candy.


We also had wagon rides pulled by the draft horses going throughout the day, and we even had a vocalist in costume come and sing the Star Spangled Banner right before we began the pie eating contest.


After we cleaned up all that pie, I played with my other friend Elise on the back porch.  We did some popular tunes like the Star Spangled Banner and Swallowtail Jig, and then she pulled out some different pieces I had never seen before.  I'm very excited because they asked me to be a part of their social orchestra, a music group of about ten people with period instruments that plays in costume for different events.  I can't wait to start! :D

While I'm on the subject of reenacting, Caitlin was telling me about how she got a job at Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia.  If you have ever been there you know what it's like.  The costumes, the people, the buildings, the excitement..... *sigh*  She's going to be doing spinning demonstrations and working with textiles at one of the shops there.  As she was telling me about this, it hit me.  Can you imagine how AMAZING it would be to work at Colonial Williamsburg??  I think I've finally found my dream job.  I was talking to a friend about how much I enjoy reenacting and then I thought about it later and never really realized just how much I like it.  Mom thought it would be a great thing for me to get into seriously now that I'm done with school.  Anyways, how did I get so off topic?


Overall it was a lovely day.  There were so many visitors coming through the farm, and a bunch of my very dear friends were there, which I was so very thankful for.  It's so nice to see people you know and care about come to a big event that you are a part of.  So, if you're reading this post, thank you, dear friends!

Well, now I've got our Grain Threshing event to look forward to next Sunday, and then Draft Horse days and the United States Plowing Contest over Labor Day weekend which will be a really big event.  So much excitement! :)

I hope you had a lovely fourth of July weekend...




3 comments:

Hana - Marmota said...

That sounds like fun! "Bucket brigade", hmm. Still popular for children around here, I'm sure I've done my share of it on various events! It's a simple and effective game, so I'm sure it's popular elsewhere as well. :-)

Amy said...

That sounds like a wonderful 4th of July! I love living history demonstrations and reenactments. Our past is worth keeping alive.

I live in VA so I've been to Williamsburg a few times. One of my favorite places to go.

Julianne said...

I have a similar village to Colonial Williamsburg where I live in Michigan and I have always thought that it would be amazing to live there!! Our place is only open seasonally from April to September and so most of the historic jobs are given to teachers on break. But one can still dream :) What a fun way to spend 4th of july!

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...