Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Homestead Diaries | Plowing Competition

My goodness it has been a while since I have shown my face around here!  I spent my Labor Day weekend at the farm for the United States plowing contest, held each year right here.  It was very sunny and hot, and walking around in my best dress (three layers of skirts plus a corset under the long sleeved bodice) made for a sever bout of dehydration the first day.  By Monday I had learned to drink enough water. :D

The horses came from all over the country... all beautiful.  I saw some of my favorite breeds: Percherons, Belgians... even a Haflinger team show up.


I roamed around with my camera and parasol, admiring the teams.  The judges were assessing the straightness of each furrow, as well as evenness of depth, neatness of the dirt... even the temperament of the teams.

 
This was one of the most impressive teams.


And yes, this foal was absolutely adorable in person.  Quite the personality he had!


The judging lasted long into the afternoon of the second day.  I talked with some of the judges who are farmhands for the historical farm, and they were able to tell me how the judging was going.  It was fun keeping tabs on each contestant.



This man's team was gorgeous... harness included!



I liked these Belgians.  They were very sweet tempered and did really well. 







 


Yeah there's the Ohio countryside.  Kinda flat and boring... I know. :P




Over all it was a lovely weekend of horses and history.  And now the fields are plowed for planting alfalfa for the stock during the winter.  The steam group even brought out the steam engine and made steamed corn for all of the visitors as well as other period food.  

Hope you all had a lovely Labor Day weekend!  Oh and I was flattered by the enthusiastic response on my Vera Bradley knock off... so.... I am working on the tutorial for y'all!

God bless,

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Looks like a lot of fun! The horses are beautiful.

Kiri Liz said...

Loved the pics, Elizabeth! It's so nice to see that America still has places of simplicity, and not everyone is lost in the modern world of technology and... yeah, all that. Needless to say, I've really been enjoying your Homestead Diaries, and I'm very much looking forward to future posts. :)

Also, I'd like to inform you that my friend Kathryn of Hidden Orchards has published her book, Christmas at the Tittletons, and to respectfully request that you participate in a tag for the festivities. All the information is in this post (http://liannetaimenlore.blogspot.com/2013/09/christmas-at-tittletons-release-tag-and.html). Thanks!

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...