Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Healthy Eating | Caramelized Carrot Soup

I found this recipe in Christina Ferrare's "Big Bowl of Love" cookbook, but tweaked a few things here and there.  It was absolutely delicious and very fall-ish.... so, here's the recipe! :)


Ingredients:
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced
3 scallions, chopped coarsely
8 medium-size carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 1/2 quarts chicken stock, homemade, or store bought organic chicken broth
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into pieces


Directions:

1. Heat a heavy stock pot on medium-high until hot, 1 minute.

2. Add oil, onion, and scallions, and saute until the onions start to caramelize, about 8 to 10 minutes.




3. Add carrots, salt, ginger, and curry powder; saute for 1 minute.

4. Add sherry and chicken stock.

5. Lower the heat so the soup is just boiling.




6. Gently boil until the carrots are tender, about 25 minutes. Test with a small knife: if you can slice through the carrot easily, it’s ready.

7. Puree the soup in a blender in batches: start with a couple of ladlefuls of soup and add half the cream cheese.

8. Cover and puree.

9. Lift the lid and slowly add more soup, a ladleful at a time, until the blender is three-quarters full.

10. Cover and puree for 1 minute, until silky smooth.

11. Pour into a stock pot and repeat the process until all the soup and cream cheese have been pureed.

12. Add salt and pepper as needed.

13. It said to garnish with jalapeno, balsamic syrup, scallions, walnuts, coconut, green apple, a drizzle of walnut or olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper.  But there was no way I was going to bother with that so I just chopped up a few scallions and sprinkled them on top. :)




Enjoy!


 

6 comments:

Mary Kate said...

This sounds so good! I'll have to try it out sometime soon! Thanks for sharing :)

Cranberry Morning said...

I have made a soup very similar to that. it is delicious! A perfect fall evening meal.

Sarah said...

Looks delicious! I will have to try this recipe soon. : ) Thank you for sharing!

-Sarah

Jessica Cangiano said...

You had me at "caramelized" :D Jerry McGuire references aside, it did hook me instantly, as I've been making a caramelized parsnip soup for quite some time, but don't believe I've tried it with carrots yet. We know what will be bubbling up in the soup pot next. Thank you so much for the beautiful autumn recipe, lovely gal.

♥ Jessica

Cranberry Morning said...

This sounds delicious! I think it's very similar to a soup we ate at Michaelhouse in Cambridge, England. I'm pinning your recipe and will use it soon! BTW, thanks for the fun comment you left on my blog re. Lucy Lullabies today. LOL

Cranberry Morning said...

Haha. I guess I commented on this already, last year. Oh well. This was the only post I could find on your Google+ page that will let me comment.

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...