3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced
3 scallions, chopped coarsely
8 medium-size carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 1/2 quarts chicken stock, homemade, or store bought organic chicken broth
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into pieces
1. Heat a heavy stock pot on medium-high until hot, 1 minute.
2. Add oil, onion, and scallions, and saute until the onions start to caramelize, about 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Add sherry and chicken stock.
5. Lower the heat so the soup is just boiling.
7. Puree the soup in a blender in batches: start with a couple of ladlefuls of soup and add half the cream cheese.
8. Cover and puree.
9. Lift the lid and slowly add more soup, a ladleful at a time, until the blender is three-quarters full.
10. Cover and puree for 1 minute, until silky smooth.
11. Pour into a stock pot and repeat the process until all the soup and cream cheese have been pureed.
12. Add salt and pepper as needed.
13. It said to garnish with jalapeno, balsamic syrup, scallions, walnuts, coconut, green apple, a drizzle of walnut or olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. But there was no way I was going to bother with that so I just chopped up a few scallions and sprinkled them on top. :)