Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Last Glimpse of Autumn

   My favorite season is slowly coming to a close.  There is still another month of fall, but in my part of the country everything is fading to dull grey and brown, the leaves are all gone, and winter berries are showing their bright faces as the only bit of color left among the growing things.   

   The rose hips are shrinking into faded orange. 
 I harvested many of them for tea but couldn't use all of them.  


I call these the "Helstone roses" since they bloom small and bright peachy yellow... just like the ones from the Hale's in North and South. :)


On an extremely random note, have you ever had rose hip tea?  If you haven't I would advise you to get your hands on some dried rose hips (not that that's very easy) and make yourself some right now.  It's perfect for cheering up the sullen soul. (A case I come down with frequently in the cold months.)

Rose Hip Tea

Steep 2 tsp dried rose hips and 1 tsp black tea into 1 cup of boiling water.  
Add a bit of raw honey to taste.

I like to add the black tea to give it some body.


Therese was born for the winter months I think.  
She spends more time outside this time of year than inside.


We have already had several sprinklings of snow, but only once did it pile up.  I am willing to deal with the cold so long as there is snow to brighten things up.



This little rose is still hanging onto the bush out back at the edge of the woods. :)


How is the weather where you are?  Have you been dumped with snow?  Are there leaves still on the trees?  Do share, I love hearing from friends around the country.  And beyond. :)

8 comments:

Grace said...

The snow is knee-deep in Alberta! I wish we had your lovely weather. :)

Aspirer said...

AH! Gorgeous pics!!! God bless. ♥

Raechel said...

I love Fall. It's probably my favourite season. Winter is a close second though. I know November is technically 'Autumn' still, but I expect snow. I want snow, and we haven't had any yet =/ I just loooove snow. And winter. It's plenty cold here, now we just need snow :)
Happy Thanksgiving!

Sarah said...

Here in upstate New York we have snow, with more in the forecast for tomorrow.

All of your photos are just lovely. The rose hip tea sounds delightful.

May you have a blessed Thanksgiving!

-Sarah

Joan said...

We got probably and inch of snow a couple days ago. Some of it has melted though. I live in Central Wisconsin.
Joan

Amy said...

Ooh, pretty pictures. :)

Rose hip tea? Cool! I didn't realize it would be that easy to do. Now I want to get my hands on some rose hips.

GracefulMomto11 said...

Hello Elizabeth! I have been visiting your blog for a couple of months now {via my moms account} and I have been both blessed and encouraged by it! I love the old fashioned ways!I love getting new recipes to try out! I love the both fall and winter. - Abigail

Elizabeth Anne said...

Abigail - I am so happy you are enjoying my blog! It is so encouraging for me to hear from girls just like you. I hope to hear more from you as time passes! God bless! :)

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...