Tuesday, April 1, 2014

"Do You Never Laugh, Miss Eyre?"

   Each year when the winter melts into spring, yet the landscape is still brown and gloomy, I dive into Jane Eyre.  For some reason the damp, slightly chilly, dull colored atmosphere reminds me of what the English countryside must have been like on that fateful blustery day which found our dear Jane walking to deliver a letter and met with Mr. Rochester for the first time.

   I made this pair of earrings recently for an evening out.  They somehow remind me of something Jane might have worn on her wedding day; small and understated, yet glinting in the sun like the small light she was in the darkness of Thornfield.


"You examine me, Miss Eyre," he said. "Do you think me handsome?"
"No, sir."


"Do you never laugh, Miss Eyre? Only rarely perhaps. But you're not naturally austere, any more than I'm naturally vicious. I can see in you the glance of a curious sort of bird through the close set bars of a cage, a vivid, restless captive. Were it but free, it would soar, cloud high."


    I just love this book; I could quote it all day!  And now, what do you think of Jane Eyre?  Do you enjoy darker stories?  Which movie adaptations have you seen/liked?  I'm warning you, the 2011 version is definitely my favorite. :)

Enjoy this spring day!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

"Jane Eyre" is one of my favorites! I liked the book better than the movies, but I would have to say the 1980's version is my favorite.

Beautiful earrings!

-Sarah

Hannah said...

I haven't read Jane Eyre in many years, but every time I am reminded of it, I want to read it again so bad! I haven't seen the 2011 version, but I saw the 1980's version several years ago and loved it. Jane is such an exemplary heroine; even when she suffers for her virtue, she refuses to pity herself.
Oh, and your earrings are absolutely lovely!

Clare Asper said...

Those are beautiful!!

I love "Jane Eyre." It has just enough darkness to be the PERFECT fireside reading.

Jessica Cangiano said...

They're timelessly lovely. I could see an elegant lady of yore sporting them with an empire waist gown, the candle light of the ballroom glistening off their gold toned findings.

♥ Jessica

Pepper and Spice said...

So far, of the versions we have seen, we have best like Timothy Dalton in the 1983 version of Jane Eyre. Your pick looks more intensely exciting. We have not seen it; however, we did just now watch the trailer. The PG-13 rating is a serious caution...we don't like dramatically romantic scenes, which often seem to us school-girlishly silly and tend to make our younger brother feel that he should cover his eyes, bless his precious innocent soul. However, since you praise it so highly, it is probably safe.

Your earrings are exquisitely delicate and pair up handsomely with your lovely classic book title in this perfectly elegant photo.

Pepper & Spice

Aspirer said...

I absolutely LOVE Jane. <3

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...