Wednesday, March 11, 2015

A Civil War "Housewife"

   My latest addition to my collection of historical accessories is this Civil War period sewing kit, called a "housewife".


   The housewife was a long piece of fabric with different hand sewing accessories included in pockets and such inside.


   I made a pocket for buttons and lace, and also a pocket for holding my bone thread winders.


    Also in my kit is a pair of period embroidery scissors and a few pieces of flannel for holding pins and sewing needles.

 
   I embroidered my initials on one of the pockets.  It was common for ladies to mark their clothing and accessories with their initials.


   After tucking all of the sewing tools away, it easily rolls up and is tied by a ribbon sewn to the back.


Also, the perks of working at a museum...... 
plenty of sites to photograph all of your projects on your lunch break. ;)


Have a lovely morning!



12 comments:

Sarah said...

How lovely and unique! I love the colors and details. : )

Esther said...

That is so beautiful, not to mention useful! I am inspired to make one myself! (Like I don't have enough hand-projects going on right now) ;)
I'm definitely putting this on my "make-it" list though, it is lovely. You did a wonderful job!

Anonymous said...

Well gee, Elizabeth. This is such an exciting follow-up from your last post. :P *hint hint*

~Christina ;)

Abi Ant said...

it's beautiful!! I love it! although, I don't have the skills or patience to sew, I love seeing what others have done!
Abigail

Elizabeth Anne said...

Christina, never fear. In the works is the complete story, with as many interesting little details as I have chosen to disclose. ;)

JES said...

What a lovely blog! I am smitten! Thank you for sharing this beautiful and historically inspired project with us on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! I love this! :)

Parlor Room Ponderings said...

You did a beautiful job Elizabeth! I've always wanted to make one of those. One day! Have a great week. Blessings, Diane

JES said...

Good morning! This post was one of our *featured* this week on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! Thank you for joining us last week! We would love to have you at this week's link up as well :) Happy Monday to you!

Faye Henry said...

So loved this post and anything civil war is so lovely.. Glad to find your blog through JES and am your newest follower.. xo

Lady Locust said...

Fabulous. Also love your thread winders. I noticed them before I could keep reading:)

SpicingUpIdaho said...

Beautiful work of art Elizabeth! I enjoyed your pictures, and the story behind your creation too!

magnoliasntea said...

Congrats on the feature at The Art of Home-Making Mondays. Love your Civil War era housewife. I have one that I made when we did Revolutionary living history, but yours is much more ornate than mine.
Have a great day!

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...