Tuesday, March 17, 2015

And Love Came Softly

    Sometimes two people fall in love at first sight, and sometimes they take years of detesting each other before they realize they really were meant to be.

    For me, love came softly.

    About a year and a half ago when I went on the pilgrimage to New York I met a certain fellow who introduced himself the first night of the trip.  Turns out, our families had been going to the same church for years but we had never actually formally met each other.  In fact my only memory I had of him was seeing his pudgy 8th grade self years ago when a bunch of my friends were hanging out behind our church.

    Well being at a boys boarding school for all of his high school years had changed him.  He was sweet, and funny, and had beautiful kind blue eyes.  The next night he sat me down and played some guitar for me, after we resolved a heated debate over whether Starbucks was better than Dunkin Donuts.   We agreed to disagree.



    When I returned from my trip, there was a friend request waiting for me on Facebook from guess who.  The proceeding weeks we talked online for hours, and saw each other on Sundays.  I still remember seeing him waiting patiently by the door when I came down the stairs from the choir loft after Mass. :)

    I told myself we were just friends, because I thought I was going to be moving away soon because of my dad's job and I didn't want to get emotionally attached.  But the weeks and months went by, and by an amazing turn of events, the Lord kept me here.  Turns out that sweet boy had been praying harder than I knew so that God wouldn't take me away from him.

   Once I knew I was staying here, I slowly realized I had fallen in love with him.  It sort of crept up on me and tapped me on the shoulder.  He was perfect for me.  Though it came gradually for me, when he told me how he felt the first time we met, he said he fell in love with me right away.  That poor young man said "It was love at first sight for me, only I wasn't getting it back."  Well now he is, in great abundance.


   I really could not have asked for anyone better.  He and my dad have a good relationship, my mother loves him, and he has already become like an older brother to my siblings.  It's funny how this courtship is coming to be.  I always thought it would start with someone coming to my dad and asking to date me, and for me to get to know him that way.  But I like the way it turned out.  It's like we became wonderful friends first, then it blossomed into something so much more.  It all felt so natural.


   And yes, marriage is in the future. :)  We are going to wait until he is closer to graduating from college before getting married.  But when we do we plan on having a farm and raising as many children as God will give us.
 
 
And so goes the story of how I fell in love with Jonathan. 

   I am enjoying checking things off my bucket list every day with him, one of which was carving our initials into a tree.  He did that today on our morning hike at a nearby state park.  It was a gorgeous spring morning; we arrived just as the sun was rising.  There were little glowing green pieces of spring growth everywhere.


    The woods were quiet and smelled sweetly of damp earth.  We climbed to the top of a cliff and sat for a while listening to the river.  How I pine for springtime all winter long!  It has been so special enjoying my favorite season for the first time together with my soul mate. :)


    And that is the story of my courtship thus far.  Of course you will be hearing of my dear Jon very often on here as I recount our adventures.  Our next plans are to go see Cinderella in theaters!  I also am currently making him a civil war costume so he can take me to my events this season.  It is such a blessing to have a man who loves me for all of my weird and nerdy hobbies. :)


    Enjoy this wonderful spring season that the gracious Lord has given to us!


Lots of love

18 comments:

Grace Hincapie said...

AHH!ELIZABETH! How wonderful! I look forward to seeing your relationship blossom.❤

Rachel Johnson said...

What a beautiful story! I love a relationship woven together so unexpectedly. I really just love love. I can't wait to hear about your journey to marriage.

Starbucks will always be better than Dunkin Donuts now and forevermore.

Sarah said...

Beautiful post Elizabeth! I am so happy for you. : )

Clare said...

And here you go on some of the best and dearest days of your life... and it keeps getting better. I am SO happy for you! Thank you for sharing your beautiful story with us. Many blessings on both of you!

Joy said...

Oh, Elizabeth! This is such beautiful love story! A million congratulations to you & Jon!

Anna said...

That is such a beautiful story, Elizabeth! It's like a fairy tale :) I pray the Lord's blessing over your relationship.

SpicingUpIdaho said...

Beautiful story Elizabeth! Isn't it wonderful how the Lord opens doors for us even when we are not looking for an open door! What a lovely story, and I look forward to more :)

Jessica Cangiano said...

Sweet dear, with all my heart, I am endlessly elated for you and Jonathan. May happiness and love be with you both always.

Thank you for sharing your resplendent news with us!

♥ Jessica

Samantha Joan said...

How beautiful, Elizabeth. I'm praying for you both. :)

Treskie said...

Ah! *flails* I'm so happy for you! (Which is what every other person said, but still) I hope I fall in love like that, it sounds like the best way. :)

Abi Ant said...

aww! how sweet! im soo happy for you both!!! and such an adorable story!
Abi

JES said...

What a lovely story! Thank you for sharing this on the Art of Home-Making Mondays. It reminds me a bit of how I met my husband... It was softly for me too. But VERY strong now ;)

Molly said...

What a beautiful story, Elizabeth!

Gwen said...

Hi Elizabeth,

I check in on your blog every so often, and I really enjoy it, but I've never commented before. This post has made me stop lurking though! I'm so happy for you and Jonathan! Congratulations! He's a very lucky man. :)

Amy said...

That's just the sweetest...*Gah!* I love happy stories! Congrats!

Hey, I've been thinking about getting a camera and I love the quality of your pictures. What camera do you own?

Cheers!

Jenna H. said...

Awwww, such a cute love story! :) You have an awesome blog! :)
-Jenna <3
Follow for a follow? The Chic Cupcake

Elizabeth Anne said...

Amy - Thank you!! I use a Nikon D3100. It is a beautiful camera and I have been very happy with not only the quality of the pictures but also it's user-friendly-ness. I'm not an expert and it has helped having something not too complicated to operate but still more advanced then your average digital camera and with lots and lots of features.

Nuala said...

This is so sweet Elizabeth! I love how it came about so naturally and out of a friendship. God bless you both. :) Also, I've nominated you for a Liebster award.

Other posts of interest....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...